Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Another Monday

Let me just start by saying, I have a nice tender bruise on my ass, and it has a nice deep purple color to it. I think this week I am going to add a little bit of armor to the lower back side of my coat of plates...

Anyway, I had fun last night. I had a hard time getting in to a grove though, and it really frustrated me for the first half hour or so. I think it takes me longer to warm up, or loosen up (which I think was a bit more the case) than I think it does. After a while though, it came easier for me. What I need to do is get back to being more active between practices, like how it was before we moved. After I get a pell (a big stick in the ground to hit, when there aren't people to hit) hopefully I will be more active. In the back of my mind, I have it stuck in there that I need to do pell work to help me take my fighting to the next level. Also to keep it there every week.

We had 5 people in armor, a nice little practice (for our shire's standards anyway). I didn't think that the two "homies" were going to be there, but they decided to show up. Practicing with them makes being out there, in armor, that much more fun. And after words, we go for a beer.

So, I am happy with my progress. Last week I did something without thinking about it, and I didn't realize it till after. It's one of those things that I had seen other people do, but figured I would work on it next year, after I get better. But I did it without thinking, I blocked the shield side of my head with my sword. I know, it sounds silly right now, unless you've done it, but it makes more sense when its in context. Lets just put it this way, to try to do it, and make it work, isn't easy at my level. Last night, during the second half of practice, I decided to start trying it. I made the conscious effort to block with my sword on the off side, and it worked. More than just "it worked" as well, it helped me win. I think it threw off my opponent, who I've fought quite a bit, since he's never seen me do it before. It is a small thing really, but it's exciting to think that I tried a new move, and it worked. Incorporating it in to my "toolbox" of moves shouldn't be too hard, with a little bit more practice though.

I'm going to a newcomers tourney this saturday, hopefully I can relax and have fun. Hopefully I am not too focused on beating people, that I end up loosing myself. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

mielikki said...

Oh yes. Add more armor or you are never going to be able to sit again!!!!
Good luck in the tourney