Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Post Monday Stuff

Since I didn't blog about Crapaud last thursday, I think I might include a word or two about that, as well as last night's fun. Thursday was good, I think the turnout was 12 people. The fighting went fast, and I lost both my bouts, but I still had a good time. I think it was during Crapaud that I came to the decision that I need to step up my mentality about fighting. Up to now, I have been fighting just to fight. Which isn't a bad thing, at all. What I want to do is decide now and again to win, because going in to a fight with a "want to win" mentality changes how I fight. I think that at some point I forgot that I wanted to win.

Also at Crapaud, instead of doing pick up fights at the back of the arena while the tourney continued, I decided I wanted to watch the fighting. I should have done pick ups, but for some reason I was hoping to gain some insight from watching. I think I may have, at least a little. Next time, its all about pick ups though.

Last night's practice was fun. There were four of us, I was hoping for more, but four is still good. We had a visiting fighter from the Elk Grove area. It was kind of nice to fight someone different for a change. Which brings me to a side note about Crapaud, somehow I got matched with two guys that I have fought before, which was fun, but I like fighting new people.

Funny thing about last night, before I get there, I try to decide what I want to focus on. Weather its footwork, or targeting, or whatever. For some reason, when I get in there and fight, I forget what I wanted to work on. Something I get in to my head every week that I need to focus on, following through. Focusing on the basic shots, and following through with them, should improve my game in the long run. I have had a hard time getting shots to stick, I think that has been a problem for a long time (even before, when I fought 5+ years ago). I just don't have as much arm as most people do to get those sneaky shots to hit hard enough, and the sneaky shots are all I end up hitting with.

I got my shield made, the curved heater blank that has been sitting around for a while. I was going to paint it up all nice, make it look like a serious tourney shield, but I decided I just wanted to fight with it. I think I might still add some paint to it at some point, maybe before the big war in July. And darn it, I need to finish my leg armor, its halfway done and just sitting there.

Happy April, I was thinking about telling everyone we were pregnant again for fools day, but I think I will spare everyone.

1 comment:

mielikki said...

that would have been a funny april fools day joke. There is nothing wrong with fighting to win. In my mind, its all about being a good sport, and having fun, and of course, chivalry....