Saturday, June 27, 2009

Good Times

There are times when "tribute bands" make me feel old. I am not old by any stretch, despite the bits of grey in my hair. But hearing songs that I grew up with brings back a lot of memories. Junior high, when grunge was all the rage, and I wore a flannel shirt as a belt with my band shirt and torn jeans. Seattle was the holy land.

So, when I got to see Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, and Pearl Jam cover bands last night, I was instantly transported to that time in my life. For a little bit, I didn't care that most of these memories are over 15 years old, I was just happy to be singing along to songs like "Would" and "Spoon Man." I got quite a bit of enjoyment out of it.

It wasn't until the last set, when the Pearl Jam cover band was playing, that I looked around a little bit more. Here I am, stoked to be standing in a sea of polo shirt mutherfuckers, high fives all around when the band plays post era songs. The bands did a great job of capturing the sound and feel of Seattle Dirt Rock, but in that instant, it was all spoiled. With the last set not halfway done, I have to get the fuck out...

No more of that. I'll remember those days by listening to the good stuff by myself, where I don't have to be surrounded by "four popped collar cool" bromosexuals. To me, seeing a jetta with a DMB sticker is kinda like older generations seeing a caddy with a Dead sticker, I shake my head in mourning of a lost era.

Time for some Mad Season...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Marcus Aurelius,

We are old and guys our age wear polo shirts now. Those same polo shirters wore flannel in highschool. Its just their wives have altered their wardrobes, they aren't all as understanding as Janet.

~The oldest of the oldies C.

Marcus said...

It was more in reference to the generation after us. The group that annoyed me were about 21-22.

I expect you to wear a polo shirt, just don't ask me to high five you when Pearl Jam plays.

=p