Saturday, August 9, 2008

From Monday

I don't know if I have written about this, but I'm not going to go back and look at all my blogs to check. Our local practice is a small one. Myself and two other guys are the regular locals, the ones that show up fairly regularly. We have a handful of people who show up now and again, a few of them local, and some of them from outside the area. I am very grateful to those who drive a distance just to hang out and play with us, as the price of gas right now makes it hard for anyone to want to drive anywhere. This is all better than not having a local practice at all, but I want more. Honestly, we are lucky to have the monthly tournament, Crapaud, at our local practice spot.

Maybe its because I am feeling very motivated to learn to fight better. I am excited at the possibility of going to events and not looking like a stooge, having a lot of fun in armor, and just playing the game in general. I would love to have more time to go to other practices, and a better gas mileage car so it wasn't so darned expensive. The more I fight, the more I want to fight with new people. And I think the past two practices I have been to has really brought that out in me.

This week, I thought it was just going to be the three of us, but we had two visiting fighters from Vinhold (a nearby barony) show up as well. Something just made the night so much fun, and I don't know how it was different than too many other nights, other than I got to fight someone I hadn't before. I was even having breathing problems, and overheating issues, but I didn't let that get me down. Another guy got hit in a bad spot on the inside of the elbow, and he shook it off and went right back at it. This really is just good 'ol clean fun (maybe not clean, but fun for sure).

So, I have spent time reflecting this week, and working on my upcoming 1200 Danish baltic crusader kit. I got a pell set up in the garage tonight, and working on it for a bit really made me see the light, I need to make that a habbit. Oh, a pell is a stationary object that we hit to practice on, usualy not in armor, mostly a workout thing. I might hit a practice tomorrow in Vinhold, not sure yet, making it to next payday is going to be a pain and gas still sucks. The Hastings event is coming up in a few weeks and it is nearby, I really should go, it's going to be fun.

Next Crapaud I think I'm going to make it a point to meet more of the other fighters. I'm not good at that because I'm usually nervous about fighting in the actual tournament. The pick up fights after I get knocked out are really fun though, that's mostly the reason I go. Maybe eventually I'll get over my anti-social side that seems to reveal itself when I am around more than 2 or 3 people I don't know. Ten years later and my highschool mentality is still f@#king me up.

Anyway, back to drinking a beer, and waiting for more people to post videos and pics of this year's Pennsic. Cheers.

No comments: