Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Fighter Practice Reflections

I used to not like the fact that when I went to practice (4+ years ago) there would only be 2 or 3 of us in armor. Fighting the same two people over and over got old. Tonight, there were three of us in armor (and three out, but I'll get to that). One of them I had never fought, he's from Golden Rivers. The other, I fought on a regular basis before. I had a TON of fun tonight. The three of us did a cycle type rotation, two fights, rotate out. There were some good fights, and I really had to push myself.

It was nice hitting my physical limit, I know its going to happen more at the beginning, but at least I know that I'm pushing myself so that I get better. Sweat a bunch, get winded but keep going, arms tired from blocking that damn snap, throw a kill shot or get killed. Good times. Good times.

I need to work on WAY too much to list. Really it comes down to the basics though, shield work, watch for openings, commit to throwing a good shot. I'm thinking too much really, but I think I can't really avoid that. I don't have enough muscle memory to "no mind" and go with the flow. Back to basics I guess, throw out the complex combos and trick shots, and just commit to throwing a solid, good shot.

The three out of armor that were there, I made them come cause I told them they could hit me if they showed up. It's motivation for the new guys that are not in armor. It gets them pumped if they can at least swing a sword, and throw a good shot. I can't wait till I can hit them back lol. Hopefully the pic from last week will be in my in box tomorrow, it was sent to a way old email account of mine that had been inactive for so long. Had to reactivate it, but nothing in the inbox. I even had a camera tonight but ran out of time to snap a pic. Maybe tomorrow, I should be working on the Samurai Newb's gear. So I could have him take one, even though my kit is really unfinished...

1 comment:

mielikki said...

It's always fun to go get killed, right?
A lot of work goes in to what you are doing, but it's so totally worth it.