Sunday, January 13, 2008

First Practice of the New Year

originally posted tuesday, Jan 8th 2008

First practice of the New Year, and I was in full swing. My armor is only about 85% done or so, but the important parts are finished. It was nice getting out there and taking a few shots, the Vinhold crew got to use me as a mobile pell lol.

I felt clunky though, and I think I should have. After not being in armor for 5 years, its like I am starting over. Well, kind of. It's not starting over because I know how to throw a decent shot. I think I might have even surprised one or two of the guys with a decent hit. More than starting over, I think I just have to remind my body what it was like to move like this. Flat shots (not too many), crappy form, thinking too much about what I am trying to do... these are the things that held me back.

It was really nice to go all out so that I can feel out my armor. I am happy to find that there are only a couple small things that I need to fix before next practice. Adjust the padding in my helm, move my right spaulder up a link on my hauberk, re-tape the top part of my hilt to the stick (so it doesn't pop off in the middle of a fight *cough*). I need to replace my gorget, finish my greaves, and get some gauntlets. As far as the look, the rest of the soft parts of the kit, I need my surcoat, braes, and coif. Also, it would be really nice to finish my new shield, but I need to figure out what I am doing for a hand guard on that before I can move to the next step.

All in all, it was a good night. We went till 10, but I could have gone longer. I think I'm so stoked to be out there right now that I could fight for a full day before I really need a break. Or it could have been the monster I drank right before I got there...

'gotta get the pic from the iPhone to post...

I think I will try to make blogging after each fighting event a regular thing. Documenting my progress should be nice to look back and see how much I have improved mentally. I am a bit sore; I think I need a run and a shower...

No comments: