Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Monday Night Review

My goal this week was to get there a bit early and go gangbusters right out of the gate. Samurai newb was supposed to have all his armor finished by the time practice rolled around. Despite working on it all weekend, we were working on it in my apartment up to the time we should have already been on the field. No worries though, we got him out there.

So, another night with only three of us on the field. Not a big deal, with the rain I'm sure some people just weren't up for it. It was nice to finally hit Samurai newb full force, and let him see what being in armor is like. It wasn't a hardcore night, but we did some good fighting. Apart from beating the newb, I got to use my pole hammer for a bit (its going to take some getting used to), and I worked with one of my friends out of armor (i.e. he hit me while I worked on my defense).

I tried to focus on the basics, getting my form correct so that I didn't hit flat as much. It felt good. I need to remember that I am still at the beginning, and that at practice I'm playing to learn, not to win. Combos and trick shots are going to be on the wayside for a while. Well, on the wayside for next practice, but next thursday is Crapaud... it's on then.

I've got the new padding in my helm, it feels good, but I won't be sure till next week. And dammit, I need to remember to fix the buckle on my knee. A new gorget is in order since I have new foam now. Hopefully the greaves and shield basket will be here this week so I can get them strapped up by next practice. Bleh, and the surcoat still isn't finished. Project night is tonight, but I'm taking the wife's material for her outer dress, I don't think taking more than one project piece is a good idea...

Pictures later...

3 comments:

CamiKaos said...

wow. I didn't know he was fighting with you. How fun.

Marcus said...

After years of prodding, I finally got him on the field. It makes the whole process that much more fun, sharing my hobby with someone who is like a brother to me.

mielikki said...

Sounds like progress was made. Excellent!